Activating VA Education Benefits
In order to receive VA education benefits while at AGTS, qualified
students must fill out the application forms referenced below.
To Determine your eligibility, contact the VA at 1-888-442-4551.
It is vitally important for students to keep the VA Representative
informed on their status such as: course withdrawals, course
learning extensions, deployment, etc.
Veterans can apply for benefits online!
Veteran students can now do everything online! With the VA’s Veteran’s Online Application (VONAPP), Veterans can now submit applications for education benefits online. This new availability both increases the ease of completing and submitting forms while significantly decreasing the time it takes to receive your Certificate of Eligibility or other necessary documents/certification letters.
Go to http://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/main.asp to access VONAPP and complete your initial application. They provide all the necessary instructions for completing your online application. Be sure that you still contact your VA Representative at AGTS so that we can ensure your expeditious enrollment for benefits within our system.
If you have never received benefits before
- For students applying for Chapter 30 or 33 benefits that do not have internet access, fill out the 22-1990 (if you are active duty, ensure block 20A is signed by your Educational Service Officer in your unit.)
- If you have been discharged, obtain a copy of your DD-214 copy 4. If you do not have a copy immediately available, go ahead and submit the VA form 22-1990. You can turn in the DD-214 copy later.
- If you are Active Reserves or National Guard (Chapter 1606) and have signed a six-year contract with a unit and are actively drilling, obtain a copy of the Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) from your unit. If you do not have a copy immediately available, go ahead and submit the VA Form 22-1990. You can turn in the NOBE copy later.
- Mail the applicable VA Form and a copy of applicable paperwork (if available) to:
- VA Representative at AGTS
N. Glenstone Ave.
Springfield, MO 65802
- If you are applying for Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation), contact your Vocational Rehabilitation specialist. You will be certified once VA furnishes the authorization to AGTS.
- If you have never served on active duty or in the reserves, but are a dependent with eligibility based on an eligible parent or spouse (known as Chapter 35 Survivors’ & Dependents’ Educational Assistance), fill out VA Form 22-5490 (you will need to know the veteran’s file/claim number to put on the form).
- Mail form to:
- Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Processing Office
400 South 18th Street
St. Louis, MO 63103
If you have
received benefits before
- Fill out VA Form 22-1995
- If you are a Chapter 35 student (Survivors’ & Dependents’ Educational
Assistance ), fill out VA Form 22-5495
- Mail the applicable VA Form to:
Representative at AGTS
N. Glenstone Ave.
- If you are applying for Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation),
contact your Vocational Rehabilitation specialist. You
will be certified once VA furnishes the authorization to
Student Monthly Verification:
If you are a new Chapter 30 or 1606 student, you must verify
your enrollment every month by Web Automated Verification of
Enrollment (WAVE) or by Interactive Voice Response (IVR). When
you are awarded your benefits, your award letter will describe
WAVE and IVR.
Wednesday, March 30, 2011 3:28 PM