News: Spring Lectureship with Chris Wright
||Dr. Christopher J. H. Wright, International Director of the Langham Partnership International, London
"Not only is he a brilliant Old Testament scholar," said AGTS President Byron D. Klaus, "but also a mission theologian with global influence." Dr. Wright heads the Langham Partnership in the UK which is the ministry organization founded by the venerable British pastor and scholar, John Stott. In addition, Dr. Wright heads the Theology Commission of theLausanne 2010 Conference, the global movement of evangelical leaders founded by Billy Graham in 1974.
The Rev. Dr. Christopher J. H. Wright was born in Belfast, Northern Ireland, in 1947. His parents were missionaries in Brazil, though Chris, the youngest son, was born after they came back at the end of the Second World War. He grew up in Belfast and was nurtured as an Irish Presbyterian. He studied classics at Cambridge in the 1960s and then taught high-school Belfast. In the 1970s he studied for his doctorate at Cambridge in the field of Old Testament economic ethics; his book from this work was published as God’s People in God’s Land (Eerdmans and Paternoster). He was ordained in the Anglican Church of England in 1977 and served as an assistant pastor in the Parish Church of St. Peter & St. Paul, Tonbridge, Kent, England.
In 1983 he moved to India with his wife, Liz, and four children to teach at Union Biblical Seminary (UBS) in Pune for five years. At this time he and Liz were mission partners with Crosslinks, an evangelical Anglican mission agency. While at UBS he taught a variety of Old Testament courses at B.D. and M.Th. levels. In 1988 he returned to the U.K. as academic dean at All Nations Christian College, an international training centre for crosscultural mission. He was appointed principal there in September 1993 and held that post for eight years.
In September 2001 Chris was appointed to his present role as the international director of the Langham Partnership International (LPI). Chris and his wife, Liz, belong to All Souls Church, Langham Place, where Chris enjoys preaching from time to time as a member of the ministry team. Chris enjoys running, birding and watching rugby football. He has a passion to bring to life the relevance of the Old Testament to Christian mission and ethics. He has written several books mostly on that area. He loves preaching and teaching the Bible, which he does now mostly through the Langham Preaching seminars in different parts of the world. When not traveling around the world for this ministry and giving international leadership to LPI, Chris gives about three months of each year to his continuing writing projects. Chris and Liz live in London and have four adult children and two grandchildren.
The lectureship schedule is as follows (audio of the chapel lectures will be available here ASAP):
- Tuesday, January 19, 8-9 a.m.—Class: Leviticus, Numbers and Holiness, Room 227, Dr. Wright will do an exposition of texts from Numbers. (Open to AGTS students, staff and faculty)
- Tuesday, January 19, 6-7:15 p.m.—Chapel lecture: "Whose Mission is it Anyway? Reading the Whole Bible for Mission" (the public is invited)
- Tuesday, January 19, 11-11:50 a.m.—Class: Expository Preaching Prophets and the Apocalypse, Room 116, Dr. Wright will do an expository presentation from a prophetic text and open it for comment as to method and effectiveness.(Open to AGTS students, staff and faculty)
- Wednesday, January 20, 9:30-10:45 a.m.—Chapel lecture: "Who Does God Love? The Love of God, the Cross of Christ and the Church’s Mission" (the public is invited)
- Thursday, January 21, 2-3:15 a.m.—Chapel lecture: "Who Are We and What Are We Here For? The Identity and Calling of God’s People" (the public is invited)
Books by Dr. Wright:
Books, articles, and chapters by Dr. Wright:
Listen to the Lectures
|Chistopher J. H. Wright, International Director of the Langham Partnership International, London
||Headquaters Chapel Service, 1/19/10
|Spring Lectureship, Who are We and What are we Here for? The Identity and Calling of God's People,1/21/10
|Spring Lectureship, Isaiah 52: 7-10, 1/20/10
||1 hour and 4 minutes
|Spring Lectureship, Who does God Love? The Love of god, the Cross of Christ and the Church's Mission, 1/20/10
|Spring Lectureship, Numbers 14 & Deuteronomy 1, 1/20/10
|Spring Lectureship, The Mission of God, 1/19/10
||1 hour and 18 minutes
Spring Lectureship, Whole Gospel, Whole Church, Whole World, 1/19/10
Tuesday, October 5, 2010 1:51 PM