Requirements for Application:
- Bachelor’s Degree or the equivalent from an accredited college or university with a minimum GPA of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale. Exceptions to the GPA level may be made by the department, especially in light of excellent graduate work.
- An accredited M.Div., M.Th./Th.M., M.Phil., or STM with strength in Biblical and Theological Studies with a minimum GPA of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale. Please note: Students with other Masters’ degrees (MA, MATS, MACM, MAR) will be considered if their prior work demonstrated ability for advanced study. Students with work beyond the M.Div. (Th.M and equivalents, D.Min or other professional doctoral study) may apply for Advanced Standing in the form of course relief up to 8 units.
- The Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Modern Research Language: Willingness to obtain the modern research language required for the student’s concentration within the first two years of the program.
- Biblical Languages:
- One full year of both biblical Hebrew and Greek. In addition to this requirement, further studies in a biblical language may be required for a student’s concentration.
- A potential applicant with one of the two languages may apply and be considered upon the condition of completion of the second language before the end of the first year of study. Such students must exemplify exceptional academic studies.
- A potential applicant without sufficient course work in either languages will be required to take the national standardized biblical Greek and/or biblical Hebrew exams in consultation with an AGTS professor to demonstrate exegetical ability prior to application to the program.
Instructions for Applying for Admission to the AGTS Ph.D. Bible and Theology Program:
- Complete and submit application. (email firstname.lastname@example.org for application & recommendation forms)
- Contact all postsecondary schools and request an official copy of your transcript to be sent directly to AGTS.
- Distribute the academic, ministerial and personal recommendation forms and ask that they be completed and returned to AGTS. (Distribute to non-family members with three years minimum acquaintance.)
- Submit an example of scholarly writing (minimum 1500 words). This can be a prior class paper or published article.
- Submit A 2000-word Vocational Essay that provides
- A brief personal testimony of conversion and calling.
- Articulation of present vocation and why a Ph.D. will make a difference.
- Specific goals for study and the future contributions to the academic fields.
- Submit GRE Scores (TOEFEL if international student). Students with English as their second language must score 585 or above on the TOEFEL exam and submit a certified record.
- A non-refundable Application Fee of $75.
- A recent photo of yourself.
Deadline: All application requirements must be submitted no later than December 1st to be considered for the following July start date.
Friday, September 20, 2013 6:35 PM