Volume XXVIII, Number 5
News and Information
for the AGTS Community
Day of Renewal-January 29
All classes, the offices and the library will be closed in order to allow the entire
AGTS community to take one day and "fast" all usual activities and devote ourselves
to prayer and waiting on God.
- Service Times: 9:30 a.m., 1:45 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.
- Childcare will be available during the evening service.
All students and employees are asked to attend two of the three service times
- Special speaker: Joseph Cummings
- January 20-23
- Joseph and his wife Michele will speak in some classes as well as daily chapel presentations
- Pizza and salad luncheon with the Cummings on January 23, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
Sabbatical Research Report
- Dr.Ben Akerwill share about his recent research in New Testament Pneumatology
- January 15, 3 p.m. in the Chapel
- Come glean from Dr. Aker's research . You won't want to miss it!
Bible & Theology Lectureship
- Wednesday, January 28 at 2:30 p.m. in the Chapel
- Guest lecturer: Rev.David Thomas
- Topic: "On a White Horse: A Closer Look at the Divine Cavalry Charge of Revelation
- "The Seven T's to Technical Writing"
- January 8, 2:30 -4:00 p.m. Room 116
- Taught by Marshall Windsor
Incredible Pizza Excursion
- Want to have a great time, all the pizza you can eat and be with some of the greatest
people around, but are financially strapped?
- SAC has the deal for you!
- January 15, 5-8 p.m. at Incredible Pizza
- $2 buys all the pizza you can eat and a $10 game card!
- Limited to immediate family, or if you are single, one guest
- Purchase your $2 tickets in the SAC office during office hours or from a SAC member
- Space is limited to 150, so don't delay in buying your tickets.
Thank you, Dr. Billie Davis
In December, Dr. Billie C. Davis was awarded a lifetime achievement plaque by AGTS in
gratitude for her scholarship, writing, teaching and personal ministry. She retired from
active teaching at age 80.
SAC Lunch and Dinner
- Thursday, January 8-SAC lunch in Student Lounge from 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
- Monday, January 19-SAC dinner in Student Lounge from 5:30 -6:30 p.m.
Jan Maempafirstname.lastname@example.org 268-1014
Norma Simmonsemail@example.com 268-1070
Student Appointments with Faculty
Sign up on the appointment forms posted by office doors or contact Norma Simmons. Professors
can be emailed by using their first initial and last name (i.e.: firstname.lastname@example.org)
One-Credit Courses for Credit or Audit
- Leading Worship: A Relational Model
- Enhance your understanding of this vital area of Church life
- Professor: Dr. Tom McDonald
- Leadership Teams
- This approach is recognized by secular and Christian experts to be key in motivating
leaders to take ownership of the mission and to function at optimal levels
- Professor: Dr. Lori O'Dea
- Sexual Integrity in the Church
- In our culture, Christian youth and adults, even ministers, are vulnerable. Learn
how to maintain and teach purity. Protect your church from the legal and spiritual
consequences of moral failure.
- Professor: Dr.Cheryl Taylor
- Writing for Ministry & Publication
- A practical hands-on course on keys to superior writing, including critique of
your writing and insights for marketing your work.
- Professor: Stephen Lim
- Hospital Ministry
- This is a part of most ministries. Learn to do it right and train your members
for this ministry.
- Professor: Larry Cooper,
D. Min. candidate
Procedure for Summer Practicums
- Approval for summer practicums must be approved and processed by January 20-30, Tuesday-Friday.
- Application forms are available from Norma Simmons, or if a counseling practicum, from
- Make an appointment now to see the appropriate professor.
- We are looking for students who would be willing to edit other students papers
- You set the price per page for services rendered
- To add your name to the list, you must have received an "A" in undergraduate
- Contact Cristy in Student Services for further information
Admissions, Records & Financial Aid News
Sarah Clarkemail@example.com 268-1025
Spring Course Changes
- Wednesday, January 21 is the final deadline to make spring course changes in the Records
- The tuition refund policy for spring courses dropped: 90% (January 8-14), 80% (January
15-22), and 70% (January 23-February 2).
- No refund after February 2.
Free Audit for Spouses
Spouses of full-time seminarians can audit one class this spring free of charge. Register
in the Records Office before January 21. You can download the "Student
Spouse Registration for Unofficial Audit" form at www.agts.edu.
- Preregistration is Tuesday-Friday, February 24-27.
Apply for your FAFSA Pin and WIN!
- Apply for pin number online at www.pin.ed.gov
- Bring your confirmation letter to the Financial Aid Office and receive a FREE PRIZE
and register for a drawing to win something from the bookstore!
- Drawing will be held on Friday, January 30
To apply for 2004-05 Student Loans
- Have the following items on hand:
- Social Security number
- Driver's license
- Copy of your 2003 income taxes
- Go online to www.FAFSA.ed.gov
- Click on: "Fill out a FAFSA" or Fill out a Renewal FAFSA" (for students
who borrowed in 2003-2004)
- After completing the FAFSA, submit your request with your Pin number. (The Pin
serves as an electronic signature and will transmit your FAFSA to the Financial Aid
Deadline for Late Spring Loans
Cristy Neumanfirstname.lastname@example.org 268-1081
Peter Dellemail@example.com 268-1093
- In the event that classes are canceled due to severe winter weather, the major television
and radio stations in Springfield will be notified that the Assemblies of God Theological
Seminary (not the same as the Assembly of God Christian School) has canceled classes.
- Before calling the Seminary, listen for such announcements.
As we move into the new year, please make time for prayer in the prayer room.
Spiritual Formation Requirement
New and returning students who have not met with Dr. Taylor to review either the Christian
Life Profile or the Wagner-Modified Houts Questionnaire, please contact Cristy in the
Student Services office to schedule and appointment or call 268-1081.
Business Office News
Jeff Dornfirstname.lastname@example.org 268-1035
Spring 2004 Scholarships
- Scholarships for the Spring 2004 term will post to student accounts after January 19.
- If you are a recipient, please review your February account statement carefully to
make sure that the award and the accurate amount have been posted.
- Please report any discrepancies to the Business Office as soon as possible.
Deferred Payment Dates
Deferred payments for the spring semester are due on or before January 7, February 15
and March 15. Payments must be received in the Business Office on or before these dates
in order to avoid the $25 per month late fee.
Scholarship Applications for Fall 2004
Scholarship applications for the fall 2004 semester will be available in the Business
Office on January 19. The forms must be completed and submitted by 4:30 p.m. on January
30. Awards will be determined by the Scholarship Committee and scholarship notifications
made by March 1.
Veronica Smithemail@example.com or 268-1012
Growing & Leading the Large Pentecostal Church Conference
- March 24-26, 2004 in Fort Myers, Florida
- Interact with top leaders as they share key insights on proven ways to grow and lead
a large Pentecostal church
- Speakers include
- Dan Betzer, Senior Pastor, First AG, Ft. Myers, FL
- Wayne Blackburn, Senior Pastor, Victory Church, Lakeland, FL
- Lowell Harrup, Northland Cathedral, Kansas City, MO
- Barry Meguiar, President and CEO, Meguiar's, Inc.
- Charles Nestor, Pastor Emeritus, Manassas AG, Bristow, VA
- Maurice Watson, Senior Pastor, Salem Baptist Church, Omaha, NE
- Credit option available
- For more information contact Veronica Smith
Traveled to Quito, Ecuador for missions projects, December 3-8. He also had "Bible
Colleges" published in the The Encyclopedia of Protestantism, Routledge, 2004.
Drs.Ben Akerand Roger Cotton
Attended the AAR/SBL conference on November 22 in Atlanta, Georgia. They heard Luke
Timothy Johnson, Ann Wimberly and Bill Myers discuss "Rethinking Teaching and Learning
in Theological Education."
Dr. Stephen Lim
Presented five seminars on "Current Issues in Leadership" on November 3-6
to ministers in the Illinois District Council.
Dr. Gary B. McGee
Article, "Assemblies of God" just appeared with the publication of The
Encyclopedia of Protestantism (Kegan Routledge, 2003)
Dr. Gary B. McGee
& Dr.Warren Newberry
Attended the Study Group meeting at the Overseas Ministries Study Center in New Haven,
Connecticut on December 5-7 to hear Philip Jenkins, author of The Next Christendom:
The Coming of Global Christianity.
Tuesday, January 6, 2004 4:21 PM